Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Exciting Times Abound

Where do I begin? The excitement has been incredible the past two days to the point I can barely stand it. Yesterday I got the call that it'll be a couple of weeks before an apartment is ready for me to view. If it pans out, then it looks promising for a possible March 20th date to move. That means I need to get "off my behind" from writing and start packing so I'm not totally caught off guard. Tonight... it's totally breaking down the bathroom minus the absolute essentials. Gonna be interesting!!

Today has been incredible. I finally received the copies of "The Heart's Desire" and "The Heart Broken" for the book fair the end of March. It seemed as soon as I started showing them off, they started selling. In one hour's time, I'd sold three sets of the series plus one book of "Forget Me Not" and one book of "The Heart Broken".... two hours later I sold two more sets. With what was sold in that short amount of time, I believe I have recouped what I've already paid for the printing of the 10 sets. Out of all of this, there was a very special blessing that occurred. This blessing is one of two blessings that I can fall back to when I get in the writer doldrums and wonder what in the world am I doing writing.

I know you all know I'm a preschool teacher of many years. One of my former students, she's nine years old, came with her mom this evening to pick up her little sister. I happened to have the books there and showed her mom... to which her mom called her over to see them. Caitlin loves to read, I gave her my old set of "Little House on the Prairie" books when she was finally reading at a level where she could understand what she was reading. So when she was reading the backs of the books I asked her if she liked the "Little House" books, to which she replied, "yes". I responded that my books were like those. Well, Caitlin asked about getting a set and her mom said they would but things were a little tight right now and they would get them later. With that, you could see the wheels beginning to turn in Caitlin's mind. She said, "Mom, I have $34, I could get one book." Her mom asked her if that included $10 from her sister (Caitlin just had a birthday a few weeks ago) and she replied, "No." When her mom told her she had $44, Caitlin got all excited and said, "I can get both books mom!". She was so excited that she was getting them... reminding me she would get them tomorrow and wanted them signed.

I can't tell you what that did for my ego, but MOST especially for my heart. This is the second of my former kids who has a copy/copies of my books and are excited about them. While my marketing strategy is for the 30+ year old womens group, my secret desire was also to reach the pre-teen and early teen readers too. I wanted to offer them another choice besides the Vampire novels and Harry Potter books that are out there. Something that their moms could read right along side them and they could discuss it and talk about the characters... and the moms weren't concerned about language, extreme sexual/violence scenes their daughters might read. So this has been a VERY blessed day that I'm not only grateful for the blessing of having, but excited that He chose me to experience it.

Y'all have a good one!

Dana

1 comment:

  1. Dana, Just got my copies of your beautiful books!! Can't wait to dive into them and also do the giveaway on my blog in April. Bless you so very much for sending them! God is good. And He's really moving in your life!

    ReplyDelete